Pre-Departure Orientation Kuwait

Things to Know Before Travelling to Kuwait for Work

Maintaining Proper Etiquette:

The working week in Kuwait runs from Sunday to Thursday. Friday and Saturday are weekends. Be extremely respectful of Kuwaiti culture and the political establishment. Do not photograph government and military buildings, religious sites, construction sites and strangers. Avoid displaying affection and consuming large amounts of alcohol publicly. Men and women must dress modestly and cover their shoulders, knees and back.

Documents needed to travel to Kuwait:

Employers will have to secure a work permit for each of their foreign employees. After the employer submits the required documents (passport, health certificate, police clearance, etc.) the ministry issues a “No Objection Certificate” (NOC) that allows the employee to enter Kuwait. Once they come to Kuwait, they’ll receive a residency visa. After that, the employee can apply for a Kuwait Civil ID within 30 days of receiving the residency visa.

Travelling to Kuwait:

Kuwait has strict laws against bringing offensive media, alcohol, narcotics and drugs, and inappropriate media that contradicts Islamic faith and Kuwaiti culture. Weapons are also prohibited. You must declare large quantities of cigarettes, jewelry, and precious stones. Check with the authorities at the Kuwaiti Embassy if you need any clarifications on items you can and cannot carry.

Health Insurance:

There is currently no mandatory health-insurance coverage. However, employers must pay health care fees that enable non-Kuwaiti workers to access basic public health care services. The current fee is KD 50 annually, paid along with the cost of issuing and renewing work permits.

Phone plans:

Zain, Ooredoo & STC are the three main telecom carriers in Kuwait. SIM card registration with your passport information is mandatory in Kuwait.

Bank Accounts:

You must be a legal Kuwaiti resident to open a bank account. Banks will require your residence visa and a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from your employer. Some banks may also ask you for photos, your tenancy agreement as proof of residence, and your passport.

Getting help:

In case of emergency -

(Police, Ambulance, Fire Service) 112

(Electricity, Water Emergency) 152

Get In Touch